Physicians from whom genetic information is sought for purposes of criminal justice:
- May ethically carry out DNA analysis on stored tissue samples or release genetic information without the consent of a living or deceased patient (or the patient’s authorized surrogate) in response to a warrant or court order.
- Should release only the minimum information necessary for the specific purpose.
- Should not be required to provide genetic information when:
- a suspect whose location is known refuses to provide a tissue sample for genetic analysis; or
- a tissue sample for the suspect can be obtained from other sources (such as the body of a deceased suspect).
- Should decline to participate in the use of information from a genetic database created exclusively for criminal justice for any purpose other than identification.