Physicians who participate in gamete retrieval and storage should:
- Inform prospective donors of sperm or ova:
- about the clinical risks of gamete donation, including the near and long-term risks and the discomforts of ovarian hyperstimulation and egg retrieval as appropriate;
- about the need for full medical disclosure and that prospective donors will be tested for infectious disease agents and genetic disorders;
- whether and how the donor will be informed if testing indicates the presence of infectious disease or genetic disorder;
- that all information collected, including test results, will be stored indefinitely;
- what additional personal information will be collected about the donor;
- under what circumstances and with whom personal information, including identifying information, will be shared for clinical purposes;
- how donated gametes will be stored and policies and procedures governing the use of stored gametes;
- whether and how the donor will be compensated;
- the fact that state law will govern the relationship between the donor and any resulting child (or children).
- Exclude prospective donors for whom testing reveals the presence of infectious disease agents.
- Obtain the prospective donor’s consent for gamete retrieval.
- Discuss, document and respect the prospective donor’s preferences for how gametes may be used, including whether they may be donated for research purposes.
- Discuss, document, and respect the prospective donor’s preferences regarding release of identifying information to any child (or children) resulting from use of the donated gametes.
- Adhere to good clinical practices, including ensuring that identifying information is maintained indefinitely so that:
- donors can be notified in the event a child born through use of his/her gametes subsequently tests positive for infectious disease or genetic disorder that may have been transmitted by the donor;
- the number of pregnancies resulting from a single gamete donor is limited.
AMA Principles of Medical Ethics: I, VRead the Principles
- PDF Gamete Donation