With respect to fees for nonclinical or administrative services provided in conjunction with patient care, physicians should:
- Clearly notify patients in advance of fees charged by the practice (if any) for nonclinical or administrative services.
- Base fees (if any) on reasonable costs to the practice for:
- providing special documentation on patient request for such purposes as insurance reimbursement to the patient, certification of immunization or fitness, or similar nonclinical services;
- missed appointments or appointments not cancelled in advance in keeping with the published policy of the practice;
- acquisition or processing charges in relation to diagnostic, laboratory, or clinical services, copies of medical records, or similar nonclinical services.
AMA Principles of Medical Ethics: II, VIRead the Principles